Thursday, February 25, 2016

My 3 Year Old Teacher

Important lessons learned this week alongside a 3 year old:

1. If you let your 3 year old walk the dog down a hill on a cement sidewalk, be prepared for tears. If you don't allow them to do so, tears and.... if you do, well....

2. Doing so will very likely result in crying - those painful screaming cries - and two "broken legs"... aka, scraped knees.

3. "Broken legs" can be healed with popcorn and a children's favourite tv show.

4. When a 3 year old is angry, take the time to listen. Really, really listen. They are likely angry because they have not been heard. In all seriousness we ran into quite an issue this week with our child hitting and spitting at his teacher. Yes - you read that right and yes - I just posted that publicly.  And, approximately two weeks ago there was an issue where he deliberately tripped every child in the class. Yes - I just admitted that and posted it publicly, too.

While obviously we need to address these behaviours, in each case we learned - from listening - that he was standing up for himself and that is a characteristic and attribute we want to continue to encourage. So, how does one encourage the behaviour, recognize the strengths in the child's character and squash the perceived undesirable behaviour?...

Now, am I becoming THAT parent? The one that you want to avoid because if my child hurts you on the playground I am going to standby and support them.... reality check! Of course I am going to standby and support them BUT, I won't standby and support the behaviour. Those are two critically different "elements".

And with that, I am going to step away from the computer to make breakfast and lunch for my 3 year to ensure they are fully fueled to add some new karate chop actions to his seemingly aggressive moves... ;)

This is the face of a child who may hit, spit, kick... but, is also filled with a lot of love!




No comments:

Post a Comment